Did Hackers in Anthem’s 2014 attack worked for a foreign government? This is a different take on the source of the attack against Anthem Insurance in 2014. Theories abound from targeting large numbers of records in an effort to distract from a few key health issues for our Military or Business leaders, to the typical privacy data for large numbers of individuals. In either case this breach resulted in Anthem having to commit $260 million dollars in information security systems upgrades. This could have been completed in a more controlled plan by Anthem without having to deal with the fallout of this breach if controls were in place ahead of the attack.
By Shelby Livingston | January 6, 2017
The hackers behind national insurer Anthem’s massive 2014 cybersecurity breach that exposed 78.8 million patient records were likely working on behalf of a foreign government, an investigation by several state insurance commissioners concluded.
The California Department of Insurance, which launched the investigation into Anthem’s cyberattack along with six other state insurance departments, also said that Anthem agreed to invest $260 million in improving its information security systems. A report released Friday detailing the investigation’s findings did not identify the hackers or the foreign government for which they worked. A spokeswoman for the California Insurance Department said federal officials requested the department not provide any information regarding what government was behind the breach because of an ongoing federal probe.
Other cybersecurity firms have previously said that they were able to peg the breach to China because the malware was so unique . “In this case, our examination team concluded with a significant degree of confidence that the cyberattacker was acting on behalf of a foreign government,” California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones said in a statement announcing the findings. “Insurers and regulators alone cannot stop foreign government-assisted cyberattacks.”